Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Take More Vacations

Sometimes all you need to get your life back on track is just a quick getaway. And that's exactly what I did these last two weekends. Since coming home from college, I have found myself not knowing what to do. The boredom creeped up on me and suddenly all I found myself doing was watching Netflix. Most people would say that's a pretty good life. Not for me. There's only so much Netflix a girl can watch in a week.

Not only was my Netflix watching increasing, my motivation for doing anything was decreasing. I was sleeping in until almost noon each day. Most days I wouldn't even get out of my pajamas until after I showered for the day. At almost five o'clock that night. I kept putting off setting up a time to get out to the barn for a lesson. I ignored to call my friends to see if they wanted to hang out. I just turned into this piece of mush just wasting away on my couch. That's just not me.

So to change up my mood I went down the shore for the weekend with one of my friends. My goal for the weekend was to just relax and not have anything to do with Netflix or sitting around and doing nothing. Which surprisingly worked because when I came back at the end of the weekend I felt rejuvenated. Well sort of.

Summer classes began and I had the motivation to get working on them. I was so motivated that I decided to spend most of my day just doing each day's work. Then, we got to the end of the first week and my energy had depleted. Soon all I wanted to do again was watch Netflix.

To fix it, I went down the shore again to celebrate Memorial Day with a bunch of my friends. I spent some time in the sun sitting on the sand. I got sunburn. I got bug bites. But most of all I realized just how much I can accomplish in a day if I only motivated myself. So my friends and I decided to come up with a plan of all the things we wanted to do during the day, from hiking trips to roadtrips. It was this new plan that allowed me to realize just how much sitting on the couch and doing nothing was taking away from everything I loved.

Once back at home, I had more motivation to think outside the box for class. I even called to set up a lesson at the barn. I noticed that it was sunny outside. I felt the urge to make dinner for my family, even though my told me not today. But I have a newfound purpose for the summer. And I think I might really enjoy it.

People say tanning is bad for you. Sometimes, though, the day after glow you get from being in the sun is just what medicine anyone who needs a renewed spirit needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment