Finals are definitely a stressful time for any college student. From the late nights at the library studying to the panic that occurs the moment before the professor hands out the exam, every student experiences it. The stress that comes from everything combined often can affect a student's performance on the exam. This feeling of stress and panic has led me to one conclusion: chill out.
Before coming to college, I was a victim of panicking before every exam that I took. I significantly could tell the difference in my performance after taking a test where I spent the whole time panicking and then doing poorly on the test. Coming to college, I realized that panicking wasn't going to help me. My best exams this year were that of which I didn't panic leading up to it.
This week for finals I decided not to panic about studying. If something came up for me to do with my friends, I chose that over studying. Of course I devoted time to study for my exams but spending more time with my friends allowed me to relax more about my finals. Yes, I do not feel as prepared for them as I have had in the past but being more relaxed has allowed me to retain more information than freaking out and then going blank the day of. It's definitely a feeling that I could get used to.
Stress doesn't seem to go away after finals though. Some people are naturally constantly busy making them stressed while others put the stress onto themselves. I've never quite understood this myself. I have had the bad habit of taking on more than I can handle at points in my life but I usually don't do it on purpose. But then there are people who put the stress on to themselves and ask for people to pity them. And the constant need for that pity and attention just causes them to lose sight of living for the moment and having the time of their life. Therefore, I only have one piece of advice for them: chill out.
So what if people misunderstand what you were trying to say? It's not the end of the world. Who cares if you think you're going to have a miserable lonely summer because you have to work twenty-four seven and won't have time to hang out with people? If you really want to spend time with friends you would do your best to make sure you had some free time to spend with them. Why would we be upset that you can't do something this summer because your family wants you to go on vacation with them? Things happen and just be grateful that you're getting a free vacation to a fancy island with people who care about you and haven't really spent much time with in eight months. We'll still be friends with you when you get back.
Put all these worries and stresses behind you. It doesn't help you in life and only causes you to miss out on what's around you. Open your eyes and take a moment to smell the roses. I can guarantee that sight, that smell, that feeling will be exactly what you need. And I'm sure you'll be wanting plenty more of it. So Chill Out!
No comments:
Post a Comment